Elestor has a job opportunity for a: Senior Chemist
Do you want to power the energy transition? Are you a team player; ready, able and willing to take on varied and complex challenges?
As one of the most innovative and fast-growing companies in The Netherlands, Elestor offers exciting and competitive career opportunities with plenty of scope for both personal and professional development.
Elestor's Mission & Relevance
Imagine a world without polluting power plants, powered purely by clean electricity.
This world is closer than you think. The sun and the wind are powerful enough, and so are the technologies to harvest their energy. However, possibilities to store renewable energy (sustainably, cost-effectively) are lacking; Long-Duration Electricity Storage (LDES) is ‘’the missing link’’ in the energy transition.
It is Elestor’s mission to cut the cost of electricity storage. We develop large-scale, cost-effective HBr storage technologies that are carbon neutral and durable, thereby unifying the interests of the planet, people, and business profitability.
Elestor - Facts & Figures
Long Duration Electricity Storage deep tech company
- Winner of several (inter-)national awards
Ultra rapid growth path; Elestor is expanding in every direction
- Passionate team of 50 highly skilled professionals with the ambition to increase towards 100 fte within 1,5 years
- Closed €30M funding round in August 2022
Concrete and very fast-growing international market pull
- Agreements with clients strategically adopting the innovative storage technology in commercial settings
Technology & Roadmap
Elestor has been recognised as 1 of the 10 most innovative companies in the Netherlands by both the University of Amsterdam and the Dutch Chamber of Commerce. The revolutionary low-cost flow battery systems have received several (inter)national awards in recognition of the ability to reduce the cost of storing electricity to an absolute minimum. For more understanding, feel free to visit Elestor's website. Here you'll find more about the underlying fundamentals and the triple cost reduction strategy, making Elestor’s solution unique on the world stage. Elestor is backed by a €30 million investment and is now ready to implement an ultra-rapid growth strategy to accelerate the commercialisation and operationalization of its proven hydrogen bromine flow battery technology. The segment is expected to represent a market potential of approximately €20 billion by 2025. The international market pull is already concrete and very fast growing!
People & Growth
At Elestor you will be in the middle of genuinely unprecedented developments, made possible by an international group of researchers and engineers of remarkable talent and diversity. In future years, the company will expand literally in every direction. In anticipation of this steep growth, Elestor will look forward to meeting sincere, thoughtful, and entrepreneurial individuals feeling energized to empower necessary change: towards a 100% clean electricity supply. Elestor is an equal opportunities employer: We believe diversity aids creativity and innovation, so whatever your race, colour, nationality, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender, marital status, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability, you are welcome to join our ranks. We actively promote inclusion and we abhor discrimination. We treat all our employees, contractors, workers, job applicants, suppliers, clients and everyone else with respect.
As Senior Chemist, you become the material expert in electrolyte chemistry R&D and electrolyte safety. Your ultimate responsibility is to envision the future electrolyte chemistry of Elestor's flow battery technology under predefined performance & cost targets. The activities outputs should also lead to IP generation.
The Senior Chemist will be busy initiating, introducing, and implementing creative and innovative chemistry solutions and, by doing so, designing the electrolyte for a whole new class of large-scale energy storage systems. Your work will be hands-on and strategically relevant, guiding daily research activities and hunting for ideas/synergy, resulting in intellectual property generation.
Elestor's Senior Chemist reports to the Team Leader of R&D. You are working closely with the cluster leader and part of the electrolyte cluster, developing technology with a global impact on the energy transition. You are at the forefront of innovation, and your contribution will be essential for shaping the landscape of large-scale energy storage. A solution that must and will be deployed massively in the very near future!
Tasks and responsibilities
- Driving electrolyte research activities of Elestor’s flow battery technology under predefined performance & cost targets
- Improving the electrolyte research setup
- Improving bromine electrolyte with additives
- Developing novel bromine complexing agents
- Performing analysis to optimize the cost versus performance trade-off
- Exploring more superior chemistry for the H2-X flow batteries technology
- Strengthen the knowledge & team in the Electrolyte group
- Performing patent landscaping
- Generating intellectual properties related to the electrolyte technology
- Performing the chemical safety and vapor pressure calculations
- Electrolyte safety compliance
- Writing project/research proposals internally and with external parties
- Management of suppliers and outsourcing R&D
The ideal candidate has proven skills and experience with the design of electrolytes (electrolyte speciation, kinetics, and safety). You are an out-of-the-box thinker and thrive effortlessly in the Elestor culture (with a positive mindset, agility, and proactiveness). You love and actively stimulate the exchange of knowledge with both scientists and engineers of various disciplines (internally and externally). You are goal oriented and not afraid to challenge the status quo.
Education, skills and experience
- Minimum of 10 years of working experience in chemistry
- Preferably with electrochemistry / flow batteries
- Minimum of MSc. degree (and PhD degree is a big plus)
- Proven track record in structured projects and/or organizations
- Proven track record in generating intellectual property
- Relevant network in the supply chain and with universities and research institutes
- International experience or working experience in an international company
- Fluent in English
- An entrepreneurial mindset
Elestor offers an open, action-oriented and exciting working environment in a diverse and international team of highly skilled professionals. The company has a flat management structure and offers many opportunities to excel and grow.
Terms of employment are competitive and include participation in a Stock Appreciation Rights (SAR) program. When we succeed, we all benefit. Especially in caring for what we share the most: a healthy planet.